Consider this: anyone on the planet can create that free address or a similar address.
- It’s not professional
- It’s not secure
- It doesn’t tell your clients/customers you really are who you say you are unless you secure every rendition on every email platform. (No one has time for that!)
If you have a domain name it’s much better to get your name at your domain (email@example.com) because you’re the only person on the planet who can create that address. You may also want to purchase several domain names that are close to your domain name to be sure no one can pretend to be you. (It’s unfortunate that we have to go to these lengths, but we do. )
Your business email address can’t come from that domain name unless you own it. Domain name email addresses are:
- More secure
- More professional (everyone knows if you have an @gmail.com address that you created that in about 5 minutes just like any person).
- More Strategic (who wants to advertise for Google and Yahoo on their business card?)
Why Use Gmail
I do recommend having a Gmail address because it has many tools built into it that can help your business. If you use Outlook or some other system to host your email you may want to have “firstname.lastname@example.org” to take advantage of these tools, but you can also purchase email hosting through Google called G-suite, which is about $5/email address.
Whether you decide to have a gmail address for your business or to have Google host your business email addresses you will get access to the following tools:
- Google Analytics is a free metrics tool that shows how many people visit your website, where they come from, where they go and how long they stay on your website (the only way to have access to Google Analytics is to have a gmail account or a G-suite, so this by itself is enough of a reason to have an account, but if you need more, keep reading.)
- Youtube is the 2nd most visited social media site in the world as well as the 2nd most used search engine (the only way to have access to Google Analytics is to have a gmail account or a G-suite, so this by itself is enough of a reason to have an account, but if you need more, keep reading.)
- Google My Business is the local listing that people see well before the see your website, if they start at Google when they search for your business (the only way to have a local listing is to have a gmail account or a G-suite, so this by itself is enough of a reason to have an account, but if you need more, keep reading.)
The list continues:
- Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Forms (Survey Tool)
- Google Sheets (Live Spreadsheets)
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Slides (for presentations)
- Google URL Shortener
- Google Slides
- Google Adwords
- Google APIs
- Google Calendar
- Google Meet (video conferencing)
- Google Search Console
So having a gmail account or having a G-Suite account for business email feeds many birds with one worm!
Reach out to us if you would like help setting up your professional email: email@example.com