Hiring a consultant isn’t a natural thing for anyone to do. It’s a difficult decision to make despite the many words of wisdom out there about getting a second opinion, bringing in a fresh set of eyes and 2 heads being better than one. There are even quotes in the bible about having advisers.
Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.
Each consultant has different experience and different strengths, so how will you ensure that you are hiring the right consultant? I know I’m not always right about everything (as any person isn’t) so I understand when a business doesn’t’ choose to work with my company. Sometimes I recommend other consultants or options if that’s what’s best for the company.
Once you do choose a consultant, you should commit to considering his/her feedback. Sometimes it’s very simple advice but overlooked. These tips will put you on a good path if you are considering hiring a marketing consultant.
Stop operating your business as a person.
What are you doing now for your business that you are doing exactly like you did before you were a company?
- Are you using a Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, fuse, Hotmail address for your company? You should be using your company’s website address for all your client-facing email.
- Get a payment system. Wave Apps is a great option. It’s free for the system. It only charges when someone pays by credit card through the system. You could also use Quickbooks or Freshbooks.
- Create a website. Websites offer 24/7 communication with your business. If you don’t have one you are missing out! (Make sure your website is mobile-friendly; 50% of all search is done on a mobile device)
- Create an LLC or Incorporation for your business. Your state has many services for small businesses. Take advantage of them.
- Create a logo and have business collateral. You need a nice business card. To have a business card you need a logo. There is a service online called Taylor Brands. You can create a logo there for about $50. You should also get professional business cards. There are many online services that offer business cards such as Vistaprint. You can also get business cards from a local printer if you like to support local businesses!
If you have any questions about how to make your business appear more professional, contact us! We are glad to give you some tips on how to do this affordably!